The commune of Benayes is situated near the A20 motorway (exit 43) between Limoges and Brive.
The village is surrounded by forests and pasture grazed by the local Limousin cattle. The Auvezere River, paradise for trout fishermen, borders the commune. The village church, situated on the square has its origins in the 10th century.
The chateaus of Forsac, Puy Mali and of Lavergne, all of feudal origin, are situated within the commune. These chateaus are private and not open to visitors.
The Church of St Maurice
The church is cited in the records and privileges of the Bishop of Limoges in the year 987, attesting therefore to its great age. It is a very fine country church with a bell wall. Both interior and exterior were renovated in 1999.
In the choir of the church, behind the tabernacle in gilded wood, one can admire a painting representing St Maurice. The painter Adolphe Leon Willette born in 1857 at Chalon in Champagne died in Paris in 1926. He was the painter, illustrator and caricaturist in that the head of St Maurice in the church at Benayes is purported to be a portrait of his teacher, Alexandre Cabanel, of the school of fine arts in Paris, whom it amused him to caricature.
The Fountain of the Font Faure
Situated in the forest close to the Chateau of Forsac, this spring is reputed to have medicinal properties. Legend recounts that St Eloi, whilst shoeing his mule, threw a hot shoe and brought forth a spring to cool it.
Every year on the 24th June the spring is a source of pilgrimage followed by a meal and a country dance.
The Chateau of Forsac
Fortius, a Roman coloniser created the domain of Forsac. We know of Adhemar, Lord of the Halls of Forsac in 1333. In the 14th century the Jounhacs followed by the de La Baume until 1780. The property was then purchased by the Beaupoils de St Aulaire who sold, in 1784, to Parel d’Esperut (who was councillor for the canton of Lubersac); his grand-daughter, Lucie Louise de Burguet de Chaufaille, married Théodore Chérade de Montbron in 1830.
The chateau is private and not open to visitors.