You are here : Discover > Montgibaud
The commune of Montgibaud is situated in the north of the department of Correze where it meets the department of the Haute-Vienne. It covers an area of 1,399 hectares and has a population of 244. Its highest point is 463 metres above sea level.
The name Montgibaud comes from the Latin “Mons Gibaldi”. “Mons”, it’s the mountain and “Gibus” in Latin means hump. The name of the village therefore comes from this landscape feature as the village is on a small mountain rounded in the form of a hump.Recorded as a parish since the middle of the 12th century, Montgibaud, was apparently part of the holdings belonging to the Abbey at Solignac. It passed into the hands of the Priory of Aureil, which was founded in the year 1070. After the revolution the parish no longer existed in its own right and was annexed to that of Meuzac. A priest was re-established in 1840.
Sully's lime tree
In front of the church you will find the lime tree offered by Sully, a minister in the government of Henry IV. The tree was damaged in the storm of 1999 but has recovered.
These trees offered by Sully to a number of villages throughout France were destined to shelter the village assemblies, which were held after mass.
The church of St Martial
The centre of the village is dominated by its church, a parish since the middle of the 12th century; the patron is St Martial.
The church was restored from 1879 and inaugurated in 1885 by the priest Joseph Chauffer. After the revolution the parish was annexed to Meuzac and later to Benayes. The priest was re-established in 1840.There is a stone cross on the village square.
This chateau offers a pretty point of interest within the landscape. It is the cradle of the Montgibaud family of which several generations succeeded each other during the 17th century. The chateau then passed to the Burguet family (marriage in 1696 of Isabeau de Montgibaud to Pierre Burquet, lord of Cherchaud) until the end of the 19th century. The chateau is currently being renovated and is not open to the public.
The chateau of the Joubertie
The motte of Coursaleix
Comprising earthworks on which a wooden strongpoint surrounded by a ditch was erected. The ditch has since been levelled.
The Coursaliex family are well represented from the 11th century as vassals of the Bré family.