You are here : Discover > St Julien le Vendomois
St Julien le Vendomois is on the Aquitaine side of the Massif Central, a neighbour of both the Dordogne and Haute Vienne departments. The Auvezere and the Boucheuse rivers run along the boundaries of the commune which has 274 inhabitants.
An interesting anecdote is that the real name of the village is “St Julien le Vendonnais”, it became Vendomois after a confusion by the railway company in the placement of the station signs at the end of the 19th century. The inhabitants are known as Vendonnais (se).
Was the ancient presbytery. Inside there is an 18th century fresco and lime wash painting in the rococo style. The hallways and rooms are in large jointed stones, with a large granite chimney and an impressive solid wood staircase.
The exterior consists of studded doors with well framed windows and doors, 2 crosses and a blue granite sink in the entry garden.
The secondary entrance has a semi-circular stairway of granite slabs formerly leading to the orchard.
Typical of its era, built in 1958 to house the children of the baby-boom. Today the building houses the intercommunal school groupings which comprise 4 communes: St Julien, Ségur le Château, St Eloy les Tuileries and Beyssenac.
On the 1st January 2015 there were 53 students ranging from infant to primary and an out of school minding service.
Situated at the centre of the village the church was renovated in the 1980’s and has vestiges of both Romanesque and Gothic features.
Its altarpiece is baroque, end of the 18th century (1777) – Paintings signed “Maisonade” a St Julien, patron of the parish and a St Christopher, which is registered as an historic monument.
A statue of St Roch in polychrome wood dated between the 16th and 18th century restored in 2013.
Oil paintings, one entitled the Baptism of Christ, the other Allegory.
In wood at the entrance to the village this tramail is intact. It served to restrain cows that pulled ploughs and dung-carts whilst they were shod.
The donation of a resident of the commune in 2014 and dating probably from the end of the 19th century; it now forms part of the village heritage which the commune is committed to upkeep.