St Martin Sepert is characterised by its agricultural activity based around traditional beef rearing and the production of Golden Delicious apples marketed under the “Golden du Limousin” label.
St Martin Sepert holds its unusual name from Bishop Martin of Tours, canonised for his rural apostolate in 4th century Gaul, but mainly from the seven pear trees which probably surrounded the parish church around the year 1000. The Latin Ecclésiam de Septem Piris became Set Pers in Occitan progressively altering to Sepert over time.
The Village Clock
Church of the "Sept Poiriers"
The church was given, with the Abbey of Solignac, in the High Limousin the 23rd March 872 or 922 by Charles le Chauve or Charles le Simple.
It is called the church of the Sept Poiriers - Eclésiam de septem piris – which became Sept pers in the local dialect, then Sepert by a gradual alteration in the common language at the time of the Cartulaires.
The tomb of General Materre
In the cemetery a fine stone of Carrara marble on which there is a very fine text, the stone was restored in 2006.
General Materre, general of the empire, born in Limoges in 1772, died in Eyburie in 1843 and is buried in the family tomb at St Martin Sepert where his ancestors lived in the hamlet of Montagnac.